What is a Nonunion Fracture?

Most fractures (approximately 95%-98%) heal in roughly four to twelve weeks. The remaining 2%-5% of fractures that do not heal in the normal timeframe are referred to as nonunion fractures. If a fracture reaches the nonunion stage, it will require some form of intervention to stimulate the natural healing process of the body.

What are Some of the Common Factors that Can Lead to Nonunion Fracture?

· Smoking   ·   Diabetes Mellitus   ·   Obesity              · Osteoporosis   ·   Excessive consumption of alcohol · Many more individual risk factors

How Does the DonJoy OL1000 Help a Nonunion Fracture?

In a nonunion fracture, the healing process stops. The DonJoy OL1000 has been shown to “kick-start” the body’s natural healing process so that the fracture can continue to mend. The electromagnetic field sent out by the device tells the bone cells to essentially “wake up” and start doing their job…bone growth. For more detailed information on the physiological processes initiated by the DonJoy OL1000 and DonJoy SpinaLogic®, as well as benefits to the patient, please visit the Basic Science and Product areas of the Medical Professionals section.

  

Fracture Healing (Long Bone):

DonJoy OL1000® Bone Growth Stimulators are portable, battery-powered medical devices indicated for use in the noninvasive treatment of an established nonunion fracture acquired secondary to trauma, excluding all vertebrae and flat bones. The device has the following features:

  • Light-weight and comfortable
  • Easy-to-use & Noninvasive
  • Requires simple, one-button operation
  • Device is worn for only 30 minutes per day
  • Can be used with internal or external fixation or over a cast

 
This treatment has been shown in pre-clinical studies to help the body’s own healing process begin working. Clinical studies have shown an increased chance of healing of 60.7% in patients with nonunions that averaged 29.3 months from injury. Registry data on over 2300 patients reports a heal rate of 75.1%.


Spinal Fusion:

DonJoy SpinaLogic® is a portable, battery-powered, micro-controlled, noninvasive bone growth stimulator indicated as an adjunct electromagnetic treatment to primary lumbar spinal fusion surgery for one or two levels. It has the following benefits:

  • Light-weight and comfortable
  • Easy-to-use
  • Can be used after anterior or posterior approach in fusion surgery
  • Noninvasive
  • Requires simple, one-button operation
  • Device is worn for only 30 minutes per day

 This treatment has been shown in pre-clinical studies to help the body's own healing process begin working.  Clinical studies have also shown that individuals who use DonJoy SpinaLogic after fusion surgery showed a 21% point increase in healing over those who did not.